Contact & Find Us
+44 (0)17687 77216
Manesty’s wonderful central location is on a site chosen centuries ago for its sunny, elevated position and its sweeping views across Borrowdale. Our family has lived here for six generations and we have a wealth of local knowledge. We are:
- 22 miles from Penrith and the M6 following the A66, the B5289 and an unclassified road from Grange.
- 5 miles from Keswick and 3/4 mile from Grange.
- on the south west end of Derwenterwater, 3/4 mile from the lake. Keswick is on the north east end.
- at the foot of the southern end of the Cat Bells footpath, Cat Bells is a 40 minute climb from the door.
- on the western side of Borrowdale underneath Maiden Moor.
We, the Leyland family, operate the cottages personally from our nearby home at Youdale Knot. Even after 180 years, though, our family are relative newcomers. Manesty’s history reaches back to ancient times, when it was the northern outpost of Furness Abbey’s wool producing empire.
Get in touch
Cheryl and Alan Leyland
Manesty Holiday Cottages
Cumbria CA12 5UG
"The cottage was as described, very lovely. Especially enjoyed the many walks that are available from the cottage - Catbells hike is one of the best things to do in the Lake District, amazing. The hot tub is an absolute must do!!"
— Johan – Airbnb guest, stayed in Manesty Dairy
"Perfect: Alan and Cheryl are lovely people who keep a beautiful group of cottages and grounds."
— Leigh B – tripadvisor review, stayed in Cocklety How Studio
"The house was clean, comfortable and well equipped. Super location for hillwalking. Highly recommended."
— Oliver – Airbnb guest, stayed in Manesty
"The hut is perfectly equipped, everything is in perfect working order and immaculate condition. The handbook on local walks from the door and the information-laden welcome pack were particularly useful."
— Alex – Airbnb guest, stayed in Tommy Bit
"It was exactly what I wanted, and beautifully rural without being very remote. We will definitely be coming back!"
— Sula – airbnb guest, stayed in the Retro Caravan