Manesty’s wonderful central location is on a site chosen centuries ago for its sunny, elevated position and its sweeping views across Borrowdale. Our family has lived here for six generations and we have a wealth of local knowledge. We are:
- 22 miles from Penrith and the M6 following the A66, the B5289 and an unclassified road from Grange.
- 5 miles from Keswick and 3/4 mile from Grange.
- on the south west end of Derwenterwater, 3/4 mile from the lake. Keswick is on the north east end.
- at the foot of the southern end of the Cat Bells footpath, Cat Bells is a 40 minute climb from the door.
- on the western side of Borrowdale underneath Maiden Moor.
We, the Leyland family, operate the cottages personally from our nearby home at Youdale Knot. Even after 180 years, though, our family are relative newcomers. Manesty’s history reaches back to ancient times, when it was the northern outpost of Furness Abbey’s wool producing empire.